Apply For Nebraska TANF Benefits

Learn how to apply for Nebraska TANF. The Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program, called Nebraska Aid to Dependent Children (ADC), may help you become self-supportive while receiving monthly cash benefits to meet your everyday needs such as rent, utilities, clothes, transportation, or additional expenses.

Sometimes you may not be eligible to receive TANF for yourself, but a child or children in your household may. The TANF program is administered by the Department of Health and Human Services. In most cases, in order to qualify for TANF you must meet both types of eligibility, categorical and financial.

Additionally, to qualify for TANF there are work requirements. The NE TANF program requires most adults be employed or participate in certain work-related activities, which you will be assigned for a certain number of hours on a weekly basis in order to continue receiving TANF benefits.

The total number of hours needed to fulfill your work activity requirement depends on your family composition. Qualified state residents are required to produce information including household income, age, citizenship and resources.

Only household members who are eligible for Nebraska TANF can receive welfare benefits. For more information about applying for NE TANF benefits, view the information below. If you still have questions or issues, then contact TANF Nebraska.

Nebraska TANF eligibility

To be eligible for Nebraska Aid to Dependent Children (ADC) cash assistance, a family must have net monthly income less than the program's need and payment standards. Sometimes, families may consist of both parents and children. At other times, there may be a parent absent due to separation, divorce, or death.

When both parents are absent, a different family member such as a grandparent, aunt, or uncle may receive on behalf of the children. You can use their online pre-screening tool to see if you are eligible to receive Nebraska TANF benefits.

A family may receive benefits and services from other assistance programs as well. The household may be eligible for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), which helps families supplement their food supply. In addition, families may be eligible for subsidized child care to allow adults to participate in Employment First activities which prepare them for employment or help them remain employed.

To encourage movement towards independence, all ADC adults who are able to work must take part in the Employment First program. Employment First provides training, education, work experience, and employment-related activities and supportive services to adults. ADC adults must also agree to cooperate with Child Support Enforcement efforts as required to remain eligible for assistance.

ADC families where the parent(s) are capable of attaining independence are limited to receiving a lifetime of 60 months of cash assistance. The time period begins with the first month of eligibility. Families where the parent is disabled or otherwise found to be unable to work are not time-limited.

ADC families who become ineligible for cash assistance because of an increase in pay may become eligible for extended assistance. These families may receive up to five transitional cash grants and six months of Medicaid coverage without consideration of income.

They may receive up to six additional months of Medicaid coverage if the countable income is below 185% of the federal poverty level. Subsidized child care on a sliding fee schedule is also available to these families with income below 185% of the federal poverty level.

Apply for Nebraska TANF

To apply for Nebraska TANF benefits, an application must be completed and given to the Nebraska Department of Health & Human Services. For more information, contact your nearest Health and Human Services Office. Or, you can download an application form and mail it to the nearest Health and Human Services Office.

You can also apply for the Nebraska TANF program online at If you need help with your application you can call toll free 800-383-4278. For Lincoln residents, call 402-323-3900. For Omaha residents, call 402-595-1258.

How can I check on the status of my benefits?

You may check on the status of your benefits online at using "My Benefits". Information is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

I was denied TANF benefits. What can I do?

State and local agencies are responsible for establishing the eligibility criteria and procedures that apply in their programs, not the Federal government. If you disagree with a decision regarding welfare benefits, you have the right to file an appeal. For more information about your state's appeals procedures, contact the NE TANF office.