Apply For New Hampshire TANF Benefits

Learn how to apply for New Hampshire TANF. The Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program, called New Hampshire Financial Assistance to Needy Families (FANF), may help you become self-supportive while receiving monthly cash benefits to meet your everyday needs such as rent, utilities, clothes, transportation, or additional expenses.

Sometimes you may not be eligible to receive TANF for yourself, but a child or children in your household may. The TANF program is administered by the Department of Health and Human Services. In most cases, in order to qualify for TANF you must meet both types of eligibility, categorical and financial.

Additionally, to qualify for TANF there are work requirements. The NH TANF program requires most adults be employed or participate in certain work-related activities, which you will be assigned for a certain number of hours on a weekly basis in order to continue receiving TANF benefits.

The total number of hours needed to fulfill your work activity requirement depends on your family composition. Qualified state residents are required to produce information including household income, age, citizenship and resources.

Only household members who are eligible for New Hampshire TANF can receive welfare benefits. For more information about applying for NH TANF benefits, view the information below. If you still have questions or issues, then contact TANF New Hampshire.

The Financial Assistance to Needy Families Program (FANF) provides cash assistance to families with dependent children through the following programs of assistance:

  • New Hampshire Employment Program (NHEP)
  • Family Assistance Program (FAP)
  • Interim Disabled Parent (IDP) program or
  • Families With Older Children (FWOC)

All FANF programs have the same cash eligibility requirements, and the same benefit limits. To qualify, the dependent children must lack parental support or care due to death, continued absence or because at least one parent in a two-parent home is disabled.

New Hampshire TANF requirements

Below is a list of requirements you need to meet in order to qualify for TANF New Hampshire.

Citizenship status/Immigration

Applicants must be either a US citizen or an eligible qualified alien.

Social security number

The law requires that all members applying for FANF financial assistance furnish a Social Security Number or verification of an application for a Social Security Number if one has never been issued or you cannot provide the numbers.


Applicants must be prepared to present proof of age for all family members.

Child Support

When you apply for NH TANF, you automatically assign your rights to child support payments to DHHS. This means that unless doing so would be unsafe for you or the children, you give DHHS the right to collect and receive any child support money payments made on behalf of anyone in your household who receives TANF financial assistance.

DHHS will assist you to obtain a legal order of child support and help you establish paternity if necessary. If you have no court order for child support, you will be expected to help us identify and locate the non-custodial parent.

Work requirements

Able-bodied adults, ages 16 to 60, are expected to work, attend school or participate in employment-based training services. NHEP will help you to prepare for and find a job as you work towards becoming financially self-sufficient.

For some individuals, involvement in a job search is difficult due to such things as age, disabilities, or having young children at home; you may be eligible for an exemption under certain circumstances.

60-month time limit

Most families can receive cash assistance for a maximum of 60 months in their lifetime. Every month you receive cash assistance, whether in NH or another state, counts toward your 60-month lifetime limit. If you have already reached your 60-month lifetime limit, you may still be eligible for assistance in certain circumstances. Contact a DHHS District Office for more information.

New Hampshire TANF financial requirements

Financial requirements are broken into two components: income and resources. You are considered financially eligible for FANF if both income and resource requirements are met.

Household income

All available income for all members of your household is counted when they determine your eligibility. However, they subtract certain expenses from that total. If, after subtracting your expenses, your total net income equals or falls below the monthly net income limits for the number of people in your household, you are considered income eligible.

Household resources

All resources, which you and your family own are considered to determine eligibility. Examples of resources are cash, bank accounts, stocks, bonds, permanently unoccupied real estate and some trusts.

They do not count certain resources such as the home you are living in, your furniture and one vehicle for each adult in the home. If, after counting or excluding your household's resources, your total countable resources equal or fall below $1,000, you are considered resource eligible.

Household expenses

FANF allows deductions (amounts subtracted) from your income for individuals who work, including up to 20% of earnings for FANF applicants, and all unreimbursed child care costs needed for employment or training.

Apply for New Hampshire TANF

If you meet the requirements above and think your income and resources are close to the figures provided and you wish to apply for FANF, you can:

If you are determined eligible for FANF cash assistance, you may qualify for other DHHS programs such as Food Stamp benefits, medical assistance, child care help or emergency assistance. They will also help you find, get, and keep a job, and cash assistance recipients are supported after getting a job and moving toward self-sufficiency.

Your total monthly income will go up as you go to work and increase your earnings. For each dollar you earn, your cash assistance benefit will only decrease by 50 cents. If you become ineligible for financial assistance because of earnings, you will still qualify for up to 12 months of Extended Medical Assistance (EMA).

You may also get a special benefit called Extended Food Stamps (EFS) for up to 5 months. After that period, then you may still be eligible for medical coverage, child care, and Food Stamp benefits if you meet the programs requirements.

After completing an Application, you may also need to talk to a Family Services Specialist (FSS) about your situation and your needs. During this interview, the FSS will tell you about program requirements. The FSS will also tell you about your benefits.

They will tell you if this interview is required and provide them with proof of your household circumstances. Examples of the types of proof you may need to give them are listed below. To avoid delays if you are scheduled for an interview, please have the proofs with you.

All household members

You must bring the Social Security Number or show you have applied for one for each household member who is applying for assistance. If someone in your household is not applying for benefits s/he does not have to provide a Social Security Number or prove that s/he has applied for one.

Bring some form of ID, like a Driver's License, Work or school ID card, ID from other social services program, voter ID card or birth certificate. Also bring your marriage certificate or divorce decree.

Student Status

They will need the School Schedule for the Current Term for anyone 16 years or older.

Health Insurance

All insurance cards for all household members. They do not need copies of your Medicaid cards.

Medical Condition

If you are Blind, Disabled or Temporarily Incapacitated, your doctor may need to fill out a form. If you are pregnant, bring a letter from your doctor stating your due date.


They need the registration/title and the amount you owe for any: Car, truck, motorcycle, camper, snowmobile, or boat.

Cash Resources

They need current statements including the balance for any:

  • Checking/Savings account
  • Passbook savings account
  • Credit Union account
  • Christmas Club account
  • Stock/Bond Certificates
  • Certificate of Deposit (CD)
  • Trust
  • IRA/401k
  • Keogh
  • Mutual Fund
  • Medical Savings Account and
  • The total amount of any cash on hand
Life Insurance

They need a copy of the policy and the current face value and cash value.

Real Estate

They need the following information for any Real Estate, including your home:

  • Deed
  • Mortgage (Principal and Interest)
  • Reverse Mortgage
  • Tax Bill and Home Owner's Insurance (Declaration Page)
Earned income

4 weeks of current and consecutive pay stubs, or DFA Form 756. This includes:

  • On the Job Training
  • Work Study
  • Stipend/Grant
  • Summer Youth Program
  • Senior Citizens Community Service or
  • Census Bureau income
  • If Self-Employed
  • Profit/Loss Worksheet
  • Schedule C
  • or other income tax return
Unearned Income

Proof of all income from any sources, such as:

  • State Supplemental Income
  • Social Security (Survivors/Disability/Retirement)
  • Child Support/Alimony (bring all legal documents)
  • Adoptions Subsidy/Foster Care Payment
  • VA Pension
  • Other Pension
  • Short/Long Term Disability
  • Workman’s Compensation
  • Unemployment Compensation Benefits
  • Annuity/Trust/401k Income
  • Interest/Dividends/Royalties
  • Rental Income
  • Railroad or
  • Strike Benefits
Terminated Employment

Letter from your employer stating your last day worked and reason for termination and proof of all gross wages paid in the current month, or DFA Form 756.

  • Expenses
  • Rental Expense (Rent Receipt/Lease/DFA Form 775/written Shared Shelter Statement or DFA Form 768 if you have a roommate you do not eat with)
  • Utility Expense (Heat/Electric/Phone/Internet including mobile data/Fuel Assistance Award Letter)
  • Child Care (Receipts/Letter from your Provider/Cancelled Checks)
  • Medical Expenses for anyone 60 years and older or disabled (any expense incurred from illness, including transportation expenses and adult day care)
I was denied TANF benefits. What can I do?

State and local agencies are responsible for establishing the eligibility criteria and procedures that apply in their programs, not the Federal government. If you disagree with a decision regarding welfare benefits, you have the right to file an appeal. For more information about your state's appeals procedures, contact the NH TANF office.