Apply For Oregon TANF Benefits

Learn how to apply for Oregon TANF. The Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program, called Oregon Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, may help you become self-supportive while receiving monthly cash benefits to meet your everyday needs such as rent, utilities, clothes, transportation, or additional expenses.

Sometimes you may not be eligible to receive TANF for yourself, but a child or children in your household may. The TANF program is administered by the Department of Human Services. In most cases, in order to qualify for TANF you must meet both types of eligibility, categorical and financial.

Additionally, to qualify for TANF there are work requirements. The OR TANF program requires most adults be employed or participate in certain work-related activities, which you will be assigned for a certain number of hours on a weekly basis in order to continue receiving TANF benefits.

The total number of hours needed to fulfill your work activity requirement depends on your family composition. Qualified state residents are required to produce information including household income, age, citizenship and resources.

Only household members who are eligible for Oregon TANF can receive welfare benefits. For more information about applying for OR TANF benefits, view the information below. If you still have questions or issues, then contact TANF Oregon.

The TANF program provides cash assistance to low-income families with children while they strive to become self-sufficient. Cash assistance is intended to meet a family's basic needs such as food, clothing, shelter and utilities. Most cash benefits in Oregon are issued via an Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card. This is also known as an Oregon Trail Card.

Oregon TANF eligibility

To qualify for the Oregon TANF program, families must have very few assets and little or no income. The current maximum monthly benefit for a family of three is $506.Applying for TANF

Apply for Oregon TANF

You can apply for TANF Oregon by:

  • Applying in-person at a DHS Self-Sufficiency office or
  • Download a copy of the TANF application and follow the instructions given. To apply for cash assistance, you must fill out the entire application

If you decide to download a copy, then complete the application form, print it and bring or send it to the DHS Self-sufficiency office in your area. To find a location, see a list of DHS offices near you.

Once you turn in your TANF application, you will need to schedule an appointment for an interview with a caseworker. They may go over the application with you in an interview. It is important to make it to your interview. If you need to reschedule, please let them know right away.

Documents needed to apply for TANF

You may need to being the following documents to the interview:

  • Your identification
  • Proof of your income
  • Social Security numbers for everyone in your household who wants benefits and
  • Proof of your legal immigration status for those persons who want benefits

Please let your case worker know if you need assistance in getting the information and they may be able to help you. Cash benefits usually start based on the date they get the application. The amount of your benefits is also based upon this date.

Social Security numbers and citizenship

If you are applying for someone else and not for yourself, they do not need your SSN or citizenship status. People who are not US citizens may still qualify for certain benefits. If you do not have an SSN yourself, other family members who do have SSNs may still qualify.

Oregon TANF time limit

Oregon has a 60-month time limit for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF). Months you received TANF in another state or from a tribal TANF program may be counted towards the Oregon time limit.

I was denied TANF benefits. What can I do?

State and local agencies are responsible for establishing the eligibility criteria and procedures that apply in their programs, not the Federal government. If you disagree with a decision regarding welfare benefits, you have the right to file an appeal. For more information about your state's appeals procedures, contact the OR TANF office.