Apply For Wyoming TANF Benefits

Learn how to apply for Wyoming TANF. The Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program, called Wyoming Personal Opportunities With Employment Responsibilities (POWER), may help you become self-supportive while receiving monthly cash benefits to meet your everyday needs such as rent, utilities, clothes, transportation, or additional expenses.

Sometimes you may not be eligible to receive TANF for yourself, but a child or children in your household may. The TANF program is administered by the Department of Family Services. In most cases, in order to qualify for TANF you must meet both types of eligibility, categorical and financial.

Additionally, to qualify for TANF there are work requirements. The WY TANF program requires most adults be employed or participate in certain work-related activities, which you will be assigned for a certain number of hours on a weekly basis in order to continue receiving TANF benefits.

The total number of hours needed to fulfill your work activity requirement depends on your family composition. Qualified state residents are required to produce information including household income, age, citizenship and resources.

Only household members who are eligible for Wyoming TANF can receive welfare benefits. For more information about applying for WY TANF benefits, view the information below. If you still have questions or issues, then contact TANF Wyoming.

In Wyoming, the TANF program is called POWER, Personal Opportunities with Employment Responsibilities, and it began in January 1997. A time-limited pay-after-performance program, the POWER assures families with a dependent child are working to become self-sufficient through employment, child support and other resources. The program is funded with state and federal dollars through the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) block grant.

TANF time limit

The time limit for TANF benefits to families is 60 months.

Apply for Wyoming TANF

To apply for the WY TANF program, download a copy of the application and fill it out completely and sign it using dark ink. If you need to, someone else can help you complete the application. You can either mail your TANF application in, fax it or submit it in-person to your local Department of Family Services (DFS) field service office.

An interview will be required to help determine if you are eligible for Wyoming TANF benefits. Some information you provide with your application will need to be verified for each person applying. To find a location, view a list of DFS field service offices near you.

Documents needed when applying for TANF

Here is a list of documents you may need to bring with you to your interview:

Child/Adult care

Bring in paid receipts for the cost of care for children or disabled adults.


Bring proof of identity for all household members. When an authorized representative applies on behalf of the assistance unit, proof of identity is required for both the authorized representative and the applicant.

This could be a birth certificate, driver's license, hospital records, public school records or INS documents. If you are an alien, bring proof of your alien status.


You need proof of your last two month's income and the income you've had so far this month. Examples of proof would be:

  • wage stubs
  • award letters from Social Security
  • Unemployment Insurance
  • Veteran's benefits or Workers' Compensation

If you receive alimony, child support, student aid, railroad benefits or money from friends and/or relatives, they will need proof of that income too. Interest payments are also considered income. If you are expecting income or a change in income, you will need a letter from your employer stating what income is expected, how many hours you will work, etc. If you are no longer working, you will need a letter from your employer stating your last day worked and the date and gross amount of your final pay.

Rent or mortgage payment

Bring in your latest receipt or bill.


Bring proof of your assets. Assets are items like checking accounts, savings accounts, vehicles, land, stocks, bonds, retirement accounts, livestock, tools. Proof is a bank statement, vehicle registration, title, etc.


They need your latest bill, receipt or proof that you are paying a heating or cooling cost or that this cost is included in the rent.

Social security numbers

Bring in social security cards for all household members. If a person doesn't have a card, bring in proof one has been applied for.

They also may need you to bring the following:

  • All marriage licenses
  • Divorce decrees
  • Court orders for child support
  • Death certificates
  • Post-secondary education records, etc.
I was denied TANF benefits. What can I do?

State and local agencies are responsible for establishing the eligibility criteria and procedures that apply in their programs, not the Federal government. If you disagree with a decision regarding welfare benefits, you have the right to file an appeal. For more information about your state's appeals procedures, contact the WY TANF office.